About Me

Wake Forest, NC, United States
My life has had its normal ups and downs. I cooked professionally for years and was a breakfast, lunch, and a dinner cook. I was a saucier, a sous chef and a chef. I was an actor in a made for TV movie entitled "The Secret Life of John Chapman". For years I pit crewed on an A Production Corvette and traveled to races all over the Northwest. I ran computers at Boeing to test 737 and 747 development. I was responsible for and ran computers at Cape Canaveral for the early Apollo flights and on an atoll in the South Pacific (Kwajalein) for early star wars testing. I've developed and maintained computer applications for years and was part of a team of 9 or so tasked with developing and maintaining the processes used across EDS to manage projects and develop software. I developed and maintain a website for people who are caregivers of people with Parkinson's Disease. For fun I exercise regularly, read, and play with new programming languages. My wife blesses me tremendously. She is truly my Beloved. The progeny are source of pride and wonderment.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Superfluous phrases…..

Have you noticed how many words can be used in a statement that are designed to add an air of wisdom or credibility?

"I mean, to be honest, with all due respect, at the end of the day the fact of the matter is….."

These sorts of useless phrases are nothing more than gas and ought to be solely used to inflate a fishnet. 

To break down the above quoted statement preamble lets look at each phrase individually.

"I mean" - Did you NOT mean to say it?  Did you just open your mouth and suddenly words just fell out accidently?

"to be honest" - My goodness this very statement absolutely guarantees that whatever follows is nothing but the truth.  However, I can say "To be honest, my blue wall is actually red" but saying "to be honest" doesn't make it red.

"with all due respect" - How much respect, some, any, a lot?  It's easy to say this but the meaning is as variable as those saying it.

"at the end of the day" - Until the end of the day, whatever follows the phrase  may or may not be accurate.

"the fact of the matter is" - Similar to the "to be honest" phrase including this phrase in the following statement " blue wall is actually red" doesn't make it red.

So, one might listen to another's words rather than to your own thinking to see if what is said is actually accurate.



No comments:

Post a Comment